In this blog post, we’ll provide a beginner’s guide to whale watching in Mauritius, including information on the best time to go, what to expect on a whale watching excursion, and tips for spotting whales.
Mauritius is one of the top spots in the Indian Ocean to observe whales in their natural habitat, providing a truly magical experience for visitors. As these majestic creatures grace us with their presence in the pristine waters of Mauritius, the opportunity to witness them up close is simply awe-inspiring. It’s a chance to see these incredible animals in their natural environment, where they swim freely and exhibit their natural behaviors.
Whether you’re a seasoned whale watcher or a first-time visitor, observing these gentle giants in the wild is an unforgettable experience that will stay with you for a lifetime. Come and witness the magic of the Indian Ocean for yourself!
Best Time to Go Whale Watching In Mauritius?
Whale watching season in Mauritius runs from June to November for Humpback Whales, but the best time to go can vary depending on the species you’re hoping to see.
The humpback whale migration pattern to Mauritius is truly remarkable. These magnificent creatures travel an astonishing distance of over 5,000 km from their feeding grounds in Antarctica to reach the warmer waters of the Indian Ocean. From around June to November each year, humpback whales can be seen in large numbers as they journey to Mauritius to mate, calve, and nurse their young. The island’s crystal-clear waters provide the perfect backdrop for observing these gentle giants up close as they breach, slap their tails, and sing their hauntingly beautiful songs. It’s a truly awe-inspiring experience that reminds us of the incredible natural wonders of our world. If you’re looking for a once-in-a-lifetime wildlife encounter, be sure to visit Mauritius during humpback whale season!
Sperm whales are a resident colony in the waters surrounding Mauritius and live far out at sea, often diving to depths of up to 3,000 meters in search of food. These majestic creatures are known for their distinctive square-shaped head, and the largest toothed predator in the world, with some individuals reaching up to 20 meters in length. Interestingly, sperm whales are highly social and live in a matriarchal society led by a dominant female. These intelligent animals are also known for their unique vocalizations, which can be heard over long distances and are thought to play a crucial role in communication and social bonding. If you’re lucky enough to encounter these incredible creatures on a boat excursion in Mauritius, you’ll be treated to a truly unforgettable experience that highlights the fascinating complexity of life in the ocean.
Choose the Right Whale Watching Excursion in Mauritius
This is not an easy task! When it comes to choosing a whale watching excursion in Mauritius, there are a few important things to consider to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable experience. Here are some tips for choosing the right tour operator:
1. Look for a reputable operator: One way to ensure that you are choosing a reliable operator is to ask if they have the Dolphins and Whale Watching Certificate issued by the Mauritius Tourism Authority. This certificate is proof that the operator has met all the necessary requirements and has the necessary knowledge and experience to conduct dolphin and whale watching tours in Mauritius. It’s a guarantee that the operator is committed to responsible and sustainable tourism practices and has taken steps to ensure the safety and well-being of both their guests and the marine life in the area. Vitamin Sea™ is one of them!
2. Consider the size of the boat: Choose a tour operator that uses smaller boats for a more intimate and personalized experience. Smaller boats also provide a less invasive approach to observing whales, as they don’t disturb the animals as much as larger boats.
3. Check the itinerary: Make sure that the itinerary includes enough time for whale watching and that the operator has a flexible approach to timing and location, as weather conditions and whale behavior can be unpredictable.
What to Expect on a Whale Watching Excursion ?
- Safety is a top priority when it comes to whale watching tours in Mauritius, and tour operators take great care to ensure that all passengers are equipped with the necessary safety gear and information. Here is a breakdown of some of the safety guidelines and equipment provided on a typical whale watching tour.
- Life jackets: All passengers are recommended to wear a life jacket during the tour if they feel the need to, which is provided by the tour operator.
Safety briefing: Before the tour departs, passengers are given a safety briefing that covers important information such as emergency procedures, how to use safety equipment, and what to expect during the tour.
- Communication devices: Boats are equipped with communication devices such as radios and mobile phones to ensure that they can stay in touch with other boats and emergency services if needed.
- Distance guidelines: Tour operators follow strict distance guidelines to ensure that they don’t disturb the whales or put themselves or their passengers in danger. Boats are required to stay a safe distance away from the whales at all times.
How do we locate the whales?
The sharp eyesight of our experienced guides is a significant advantage during the trip! 😉
Then we are equipped with the latest technology, including a hydrophone system, to help locate whales in the area. The hydrophone system is a tool that allows the guides to listen to underwater sounds and communicate with other boats in the area to help locate the whales. This advanced technology ensures that our guests have the best chance of spotting whales and other marine life during their excursion. Additionally, our guides have extensive knowledge of the local waters and are familiar with the migration patterns and behavior of the various whale species that can be found in the area. They work closely with other fishermen and operators in the region to share information and increase the chances of spotting whales. By using these methods, we are able to offer our guests a unique and unforgettable whale watching experience in Mauritius.
The Benefits of a Private Whale Watching Excursion
Private whale watching excursions offer a unique and personalized experience that you can’t get on a larger group tour. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the benefits of a private whale watching excursion in Mauritius, including the ability to customize your itinerary, personalized service, and more.
Some recommended items to bring on board include:
Appropriate clothing for the weather, sun protection, a camera and ideally a drone (for the most ‘wow’ images), motion sickness remedies.
Now it’s time to make the most of your whale watching experience in Mauritius…
A whale watching excursion in Mauritius can be a once-in-a-lifetime experience that you will never forget. The opportunity to observe these majestic creatures in their natural habitat, swimming gracefully through the ocean, is a truly awe-inspiring experience.
Whether you’re watching humpback whales on their migration route or spotting resident sperm whales and dolphins, the sight of these creatures in their natural environment is nothing short of magical. The feeling of being on the open water, surrounded by the beauty of Mauritius, adds to the sense of adventure and excitement. With knowledgeable guides and modern equipment, you can be sure that you’ll have a safe and unforgettable experience. If you’re planning a trip to Mauritius, a whale watching excursion is an absolute must-do activity that will leave you with memories to cherish for a lifetime.
Reminder: It is prohibited to swim with whales in Mauritius according to the Tourism Authority (Dolphin and Whale Watching) Regulations 2012. This trip is only a viewing experience as per law in Mauritius.